DEVELOPMENT OF A CLIMATE CHANGE POLICY AND IMPLEMENTATION STRATEGY FOR UGANDA
Uganda has developed a five year National Development Plan (NDP) 2010/11-2014/15 which recognises Climate change adaptation and mitigation activities among the national development programmes that would enhance the country’s economic development. The NDP recognises lack of capacity and lack of awareness as major bottlenecks to the implementation of CC projects in Uganda. Among the NDP climatic change objectives is the promotion of a low carbon development path, with a strategy to provide and promote clean development incentives in Uganda.
This Consultancy for the “Development of a Climate Change Policy” will greatly contribute to the realisation of the national development objectives of strengthening resilience against the impact of climate change and of reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The background to the project has been developed in chapter 1, showing the potential as well as constraints for CC interventions in Uganda. There are specific actions each host country must undertake on climate change, which include:
• Developing a policy and legal framework for implementation of CC adaptation and mitigation actions.
• Developing national operational guidelines and approval procedures and mechanisms on mitigation (CDM, NAMA, MRV, …) and adaptation.
• Undertaking the feasibility studies required for formulation of Projects, attracting financing for eligible CC actions, approving, implementing and monitoring CC actions and keeping a register and developing a base line (reference point) for CDM projects.
• Designating operational entities to certify the Emission Reduction Units.
• Raising the level of awareness of national and local public, private sector and civil society stakeholders to enable them to participate effectively.
• Identifying training needs and mobilizing resources to address such needs.
In view of the above the project is intended to contribute to strengthening the capacity of Ugandan public and private entities to develop and implement CC actions, and will thereby contribute to enhanced sustainability of the country’s economic development. In particular it will contribute to the establishment of the necessary climate change policy and implementation strategy, thereby creating the supportive environment required.