Assessment of the needs for alert systems and vigilance products with respect to the risks related to climate change in Sub-Saharan Africa (Vigirisc)
The specific objective of the project is to strengthen the capacities of African countries for the prevention of risks and impacts related to increased climate change and variability, through the development of products, tools and services adapted to different sectors, as identified by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC):
• Food security (rainfed agriculture, pastoral migration);
• Water resources and hydrological of the main river systems (Niger, Nile, Congo, …);
• Health: in particular the role of climate change in epidemiology of malaria, meningitis and other emerging diseases;
• Coastal systems and low-lying areas;
• Extreme weather events (droughts, floods, intense precipitation, strong winds, …
The needs assessment which is the object of the present assignment concerns 11 countries in West Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone) and 7 in East Africa ( Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda).